Translate

Saturday, July 16, 2011

The Grapes of Wrath (John Steinbeck)

I had never read this book before.  I know, I know - shame on me!  (I’ve never seen the movie either, but that’s forgivable, right?)  Several months ago, I saw The Grapes of Wrath on one of those lists of books everyone ought to read, and as an American bibliophile in general and a Steinbeck fan specifically (East of Eden is one of my all-time faves), I felt guilty and ordered it from Amazon.  Now, after Steve Martin and Howard Schultz, it was time for one of the greats.

I won’t wax verbose with plot summary because you likely know the gist already.  In short, Steinbeck illustrates the struggles of migrant workers during the Great Depression via the Joad family, share croppers in Oklahoma who are forced off their land during the Dust Bowl.  They load up the jalopy Beverly Hillbillies style, and the whole famdamily heads to California to pursue the widely advertised work and good wages.  When they arrive, they discover that work is elusive, wages are paltry, and the socio-political climate is hostile.

Despite the straight and relatively surprise-free plot line, the characters’ll catch ya.  Steinbeck draws them expertly and empathetically, and his control over the Okie dialect is so perfect, you hear them.  The intermittent descriptive chapters, largely in Steinbeck’s own gorgeous prose, are so poetic that I took to reading them aloud.

Considering some of our current political debates, the remembrance of this history is especially relevant.  The migrants’ plight somewhat parallels the situation faced by many of today’s “undocumented workers.”  You may be inspired to revisit your own ideas on illegal immigrants.  The Joads’ story may also broaden your thoughts on labor unions.  No matter how you feel about unions today, if this story is at all accurate, you’ll see how essential they were, at least initially, to US economic progress.  And the theological viewpoints in the book may get you thinking about the role religion plays in modern international hostilities.

Rarely when I finish a book do I gape at the last page and say, Wow.  This time, I did.  The final scene of The Grapes of Wrath is so poignant, so repulsive and beautiful, so hopeless and hopeful.  Don’t worry - no spoilers here.  But if you haven’t read it already, don’t peek!!



1 comment: