Translate

Monday, March 19, 2012

Animal Farm (George Orwell)

Animal Farm is a charming fairy tale describing the dark, adult realities of political revolution and corruption, of the advantaged few gaining the trust of, and then ultimately tyrannizing the less-blessed masses.  George Orwell wrote the story in 1943-44 to criticize Stalinism, but modern readers can (and probably will) apply the themes to current political goings-on or even to some corporate tactics.  

When the Manor Farm animals revolt against their human owner and assume responsibility for all farm operations, they take on anthropomorphic societal roles:  the loyal, unquestioning workhorse; the thoughtless, slogan-bleating sheep; the vain, comfort-craving carriage horse; the elusive, self-serving cat; the apathetic old donkey; the tale-baring raven; the snarling dogs, etc.  And of course the pigs (Who else?) emerge as the leaders and masterminds of the new social system.
Animal Farm illustration by Ralph Steadman

The animals are mostly good-hearted and willing workers, but not especially bright, which makes them vulnerable to manipulation. They forget history, recite songs and slogans rather than exercise thought and reason, and implicitly trust their ruler despite glaring reasons for suspicion.

My Christian high school didn’t teach this book, as many other schools did at the time, and I’m guessing this jab at religion is why:  Early in the rebellion, some particularly doltish beasts believe the lazy raven’s story of a carefree afterlife on Sugarcandy Mountain somewhere above the clouds.  With effort, the more discerning creatures convince the believers that Sugarcandy Mountain does not in fact exist, encouraging them instead to work hard for the present, communal good.  But over time, the corrupt leadership indirectly abets the spread of the Sugarcandy Mountain faith.
George Orwell

 Animal Farm is an extremely approachable summary of political maneuvers such as isolationism, desensitization, revisionism, scapegoating, subterfuge, fraternizing, and intimidation.  It’s a palatable little package for lightweights like me who won’t tackle a textbook on Soviet history.  In my never-to-be-humble opinion, this story should be read to children, then taught to teenagers, and enjoyed again by adults.  Pity I waited this long to read it.

8 comments:

  1. Those pigs make me so angry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! Almost makes me wanna order bacon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL about the bacon comment! I read this book in 8th grade and really liked it. I thought it was well written and got the point across in an interesting way. Although it gives pigs a bad name, which isn't fair to them. If I were a pig owner, I'd be offended. But Jay won't let me have a pig (yet), so I'll save my offense for the future. Good review, Nina.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was Pamela above, if you didn't guess. I put my name in, but it figured I was better off anonymous.

    Even in 8th grade I wasn't offended at the "jab at religion" because it was clear Orwell didn't "get it," like most atheists I encounter. They think faith is centered around the promise of heaven. Not true faith in Jesus--not at all! If God promised only oblivion when I die, I'd still adore him while I'm here on earth! Orwell doesn't understand the peace and joy and fulfillment that can only be found in Him.

    Case in point, yesterday I visited a pain clinic for the first time. The woman who examined me was clearly shocked that I've endured this level of pain for 18+ years. As she tested my strength, she told me she could tell that I was in MAJOR pain because of the involuntary reaction of my body. She said, "I can see and feel your (body) shaking from the pain, but other than that, you aren't reacting like most people. You're calm and relaxed. How are you doing this?!" (And I'm not on narcotics like most, although at least 20 of the doctors I've seen have insisted there's NO WAY that I can deal with the pain without them.) I explained to her that when I depend on my gracious, loving, kind Lord, His grace IS sufficient, like He promised. I'm proof of that.

    The PA remarked that I'm not irritable or lashing out, like is normal or acceptable with people in chronic pain. I don't need to--I have peace that is beyond human comprehension. Humans can't understand it--because it's from God. She stayed way longer than our appointment just to talk with me since I'm so different from their other patients because I have Him to walk me through any painful, difficult situation--and have Him to share the great situations with, too!

    That's why it's easy for someone who really, truly knows Him to say that if there were no heaven, they'd love Him the same! How could I not?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pamela, I knew it was you when you mentioned Jay. (-: Still, I'm glad you came out of the closet! Have you considered writing a little (or maybe not-so-little) book about your experiences, maybe with a title like, "Peace through the Pain"? You could probably encourage a lot of sufferers, and your writing style is good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. NINA MARIE JULIETTE ANTOINIA CORENELSEN, WHY did you say that? WHY? WHY? WHY? Sigh. SO many people have told me to write a book--some people I don't even know based on a comment I made on a news website or someone's FB post. I hear that about once a month--it drives me NUTS! (Or maybe that's the meds.) I'm not a writer, and not the least inspired to write about anything--I mean, who wants to read about me being ill for 18 years? I guess it would be good for me to expand out of my comfort zone, and I do like the title you came up with. But I think I only have enough for one chapter--how I've dealt with chronic, severe pain for many years. Then I'm done. What else could I add? Any ideas? An outline? If you could put that genius brain to use on chapter ideas, then I promise I'll start writing just for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perhaps a booklet then?? I have some ideas. I'll message ya.

    ReplyDelete